Did you know that June is Seniors Month? Seniors have made tremendous contributions to our communities and shaped our country in countless ways. To better support seniors, our government has:
- Restored age of eligibility for Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement from 67 to 65.
- Implemented enhancements to the CPP, along with the provinces, to raise the maximum CPP retirement benefit by up to 50% over time. This translates into an increase in the current maximum retirement benefit of more than $7,000.
- Enhanced the Canada Pension Plan to increase the maximum level of pension earnings to 14% as of 2025.
- Started targeted outreach to seniors, raising the uptake of Old Age Security (OAS) and Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS). This will ensure more Canadians receive the benefits to which they are entitled.
- Increased the Guaranteed Income Supplement top-up by up to $947, helping 900,000 vulnerable single seniors gain greater financial security.
- Expanded auto-enrollment to include Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) benefits, ensuring more Canadians automatically receive the benefits.
- Invested $20 million in community-based projects that support Canadians living with dementia and their families.
- Committed to supporting Canada’s first National Dementia Strategy and helping seniors with a better quality of life. We will invest $50 million to give people living with dementia and their caregivers the help and care they need.
- Invested $100 million in the New Horizons for Seniors Program over the next five years to support projects across Canada that foster social inclusion and engagement of seniors by encouraging them to share their knowledge, skills and experience to stay active and engaged.
- Passed Bill C-81, the Accessibility Act, which benefits all Canadians, especially Canadians with disabilities, by helping create a barrier-free Canada and ensures that seniors with mobility issues have easy access to the things they use every day, like banks, public transit and computers.
When seniors are involved in every aspect of society, everyone benefits. After a lifetime of hard work seniors deserve to have confidence in their retirement. Our government is working hard to ensure they do.